Application of multimedia learning principles

As multimedia learning begins to permeate people’s lives, it is more important to follow the principles of multimedia learning to make it more effective. When I was not learning about the principles of multimedia learning, I followed the Coherence Principle and the Redundancy Principle, which were the keys to my learning effectiveness. Because the Coherence Principle excludes extraneous words, pictures, and sounds, when these distractions are excluded, it allows me to focus more on my learning and gives me a sense of the atmosphere in which I am learning. For example, when talking about math problems, do not put cartoon pictures. The Redundancy Principle also facilitates my understanding of new knowledge, and I need relevant explanations and photographs (such as flowcharts) to help me understand. For the Segmenting Principle, which I always go against, I usually learn a unit in its entirety. It is difficult for me to understand it thoroughly if it is presented in segments. It’s like just understanding a little bit and then immediately going to the next chapter. But then the next class goes back to the previous chapter. I would get confused.

The video link below shows more clearly the 12 principles of multimedia learning

Effective use of PPT in multimedia learning

Created by Camtasia